[Flightgear-scenery] 5x5 degrees elevation data
HB-GRAL
2012-11-12 00:26:33 UTC
Hi all

Some time ago I published "no-data-hole-filled" and interpolated SRTM-3
data (SRTM/HGT) that can be used for flightgear scenery generation.
Actually I merged this data to 5x5 degree tiles like used i.e. with
CGIAR data (so called SRTM 4 ff).

Now my data follows SRTM file name specification and not CGIAR renaming.
There is a tool in terragear toolchain, gdalchop, which obviously can
handle 5x5 DEM chunks, but it deals with CGIAR file names when I’m not
wrong. Can someone help me to improve gdalchop to read the newly created
5x5 elevation data files named in "SRTM convention" (means i.e.
N40W005.tif for lat 40 to 44 and lon -5 to 0 ) to fit flightgear license
also with this merged data ?

I will make that data available on flightgear mapserver the next weeks.
It will be public domain like the origin, and not in a restricted
non-commercial license like CGIAR provides. Of course, the interpolation
is not that sophisticated and partially reworked like CGIAR data, but
just with common interpolation it will be much better than bare SRTM
data anyway. Any help with terragear elevation tools is much appreciated
here.

-Yves
HB-GRAL
2012-12-02 11:20:52 UTC
Thanks to Martin Spott the filled SRTM data I produced is now also
available from the mapserver:

http://scenery.flightgear.org/geodata/fgx/

There will come a link for merged 5x5 tiles too the next days, weeks or
months ;-)

-Yves