[Flightgear-scenery] California Scenery
J. Holden
2012-04-26 20:02:32 UTC
Scenery guys:

I have generated shapefiles for scenery for (almost) the entire state of California, excepting all the areas south of 33°N (which unfortunately includes San Diego), and a couple very small desert areas adjacent to Nevada, which I will eventually get around to.

My ultimate goal is to make this into an official scenery add-on for FlightGear.

I've been able to identify the following layers:
cs_deciduous
cs_dirt
cs_drycrop
cs_evergreen
cs_glacier
cs_grasscover
cs_grassland
cs_herbtundra
cs_lake
cs_marsh
cs_mixedforest
cs_naturalcrop
cs_scrub
cs_town
cs_urban

I have no plans to make these files into scenery, but will be making a back-up of the data in the "cloud" in May. However, if you are interested in a particular chunk or chunks, please email me and I will make an attempt to get them to you.

These files are all topologically clean and are much more accurate than the vmap0. They may require some post-processing, for instance I had to reclassify the bridges in the San Francisco bay area from "town" to "lake". Rivers should probably be reclassified as "watercourse", and there are some famous golf courses which should be reclassified as "golf".

Thanks
John